December closed out with single-family home sales essentially at the same pace as last year. Eleven of the 12 months of the year saw an increase in home sales over 2015. Median prices were also up for 10 straight months as home values reached new highs. Condominium sales were down in December, after a year of mostly increases. Overall, 2016 was a positive year for home sales in Massachusetts as both year-end single-family and condominium sales and median prices were up over 2015.
Read more in the full December 2016 Closed Sales Release.
Highlights from the release:
- December single-family home sales remained essentially flat over last year. (4,779 sales in 2016 from 4,805 sales in December 2015)
- December single-family median prices went up 3.6% year-over-year (to $355,000 in 2016 from $342,500 in December 2015)
- December condo sales went down -2.5% and median prices went up 4.6% (to $338,500)
- Inventory in December went down -35.5% to 11,447 and condominiums available down -31.3% to 3,164
- SF listings added to the market in December went down -12.7% over last year. (2,453 from 2,810 in 2015)
- Condo listings added to the market went down -11.0% over last year. (940 from 1,056 in 2015)